View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #1102
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I don't see bringing bikes into the 21st century while also trying to move them away from being 'donorcycles' a bad thing necessarily.
I can understand, maybe even support the sentiment, but I feel (like most things( they are designed for the lowest common denominator.

Riding a motorcycle is a skill, and requires diligent practise and work to be the best possible rider you can. If a cpu needs to adjust your throttle input to prevent you from flipping it over, then you have no business whatsoever handling a machine with that kind of power. Likewise, if the only thing stopping you from hopelessly skidding into the back of a truck is your ABS, systems that allow you to continually just mash the rear brake don’t do anything nag to make you a safer rider.
Sure, these safety features may prevent most basic of riders commuting the most basic of fatal errors. But the same asshat who needs anti-wheelie to keep his bike right side up is the same guy who loses it in the corner afterwards because he has never developed the skills required to ride his machine.

To me, it’s a double edged sword. Make riding ‘safe’ and accessible to everyone, which is great. But like everything else, it’s likely nothing more than a casual hobby where you can just hop on, like a musical instrument or hobbycrafts. Except, if I spend no time working on my drumming skills, all that happens is I sound terrible. Treat your motorcycle riding the same way, and death is a very real consequence. ABS might help you avoid looking silly on 17th Ave, but it’s not going to help you learn anything
I could rant forever on this.

Motorcycles are not a casual thing. Even if you only ride a few times a year, you’d better be spending half that time developing skills and techniques, because all the throttle control in the world won’t help you anticipate situations where you’re about to die.

Also, I’m sure I’m statistically wrong about all this. So in that case, keep your GD electronics off my motorcycle. How soft are we