View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #2243
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Just for fun and because I'm a jerk, the whole Nuclear stock piles thing at some kind of unprecedented level.

United States 1980 23,600 war heads, 2020 4800 projected to 2022 3620
Russia/Soviet Union 1980 30,000 2020 6375 projected 2022 535
China 1980 204 2020 320 2022 220
World Wide 1980 54509 220 13400

We're never going to get to Nuclear net zero unless another strategic weapon comes along that provides deterrence which is never going to go away as a concept.

We're never going to get a war head reduction to the point of a theoretically winnable war. The question is going to be how much over kill is needed. If there is ever a 100% workable defense shield we'll see another rise in war heads, or a leap forward in penetrative technology.

But no Nuclear Weapons are nowhere near unprecedented levels. even going by explosive yields.
I never said they are at unprecendented levels. The point is, they were ebbing for a while, but in recent years they've begun to increase once again. We're going backward in that regard, not forward, and it's worrying.

The other thing to keep in mind is that not all nuclear warheads are equal. Nukes that are manufactured today are more sophisticated than ones made in the 50s.

Quote:
There’s nothing wrong with pointing out the bad things in the world.

But if you’re going to claim the world is getting worse, then expect to be challenged to provide empirical evidence of this global trend.

Also, pointing out the overall condition of humanity has been improving for generations is not a dismissal of concerns - it’s giving context.
A lot of things have improved, sure.

But in terms of climate change, we are, in fact, in a worse position today than we were at any time in the history of modern civilization.

Do me a favor, go to a BLM protest and tell everyone there that they need to "consider the context" of how minorities have it better now they they did 100 years ago.

Last edited by Mathgod; 09-18-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote