View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #16
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Am I the only one who thought Chiasson was a great 4th line RW that could chip in on the 3rd line and on the ok as well?
Chiasson was a great 4th line RW and on the PK as well, who was an okay filler on the 3rd line.

However:

1) This is not a high benchmark. We have mature prospects who can satisfy it. At worst Freddie Hamilton has shown a high level of play at 4th line wing and on the PK. He even showed more chemistry with Gaudreau/Monahan a year back, though it wasn't explored last year. Hamilton struggled at center but I see him as an NHL bottom 6 RW.

2) I see him as being a guy who would be on a one-way deal and instantly be our 9th or 10th forward on Gulutzan's depth chart picking up from last year. This pushes everybody down a spot heading into camp.

3) We're also stuck with Troy Brouwer, who will be either 4RW or 3RW. No escaping the money he is owed. He's not the worst 12th forward but he's a RW and so is Chiasson, meaning there's some uncertainty about them playing opposite each other on the same line.

4) Versteeg is also a natural RW, so if a LW prospect makes it, Versteeg can move back to his natural side. When Chiasson was brought in, we didn't have Versteeg.

5) Lazar and Hamilton are also a right-shot forwards, who may be more comfortable at RW than LW if they aren't playing C.

6) Chiasson is useful, but his offensive ceiling is well-established. The ceiling of a guy like Jankowski, Mangiapane, Klimchuk, Foo or even Dube, Lazar, or Hamilton are more up-in-the-air and worth exploring.

If Chiasson were brought in to be the 13th forward (or make Brouwer the 13th forward) it would be perfect. I don't even think he's a 13th forward, he's an awesome 11th forward IMO. But we have an abundance of 11th/12th forward types already as well as prospects. There's just limited upside to Chiasson and some downside WRT the opportunities Gully speaks of at the moment. If given the choice between Brouwer and Chiasson on the 4th line, I pick Chiasson. We haven't got that choice though without burying 4.5 million in the press box.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 09-03-2017 at 06:37 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: