View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #5
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I totally get it streaming has made movie watching more convenient and cheaper, why pay $20 to purchase Ant-Man when Netflix has it for $8/month plus 1000's more. I'm a relic from the old days, I love walking up and down looking at the cover art and deciding what to watch. Used to spend hours at Blockbuster doing that. It's how I got into horror movies some of those VHS covers were works of pop art and pulled me in. I find it hard to decide what to watch on Netflix unless I have a specific movie in mind, I find browsing hard to do. Consumer behavior dictates the market and its clear most people prefer streaming which makes sense.

I don't think it will ever get back to the days of the early 00's where we had Futureshop, Best Buy, HMV, Walmart, Zellers, Play, A&B Sound and countless other stores. Probably in 2 years Best Buy & Walmart will completely phase out all physical media CD's/DVD's.

The one thing I will say in favor of buying physical copies of movies is that back in the 90s/00s if a movie you enjoyed came out in theatres but didn't do so well, sometimes home video sales would be enough to turn a profit and convince studios to make a sequel. Now with a much smaller home video market movies need to do well at the box office as there is no secondary source of revenue for the movie. As well, sometimes the special features on the disk are worth the price alone but most the time they add nothing in value.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote