View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #2658
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I’m making the argument that a 3rd round pick has minimal value. My post was meant not as an indictment of the team’s drafting or to cherry pick, but as a window into how rare it is for those picks to translate into actual hockey assets. Once you get past the first two rounds it’s a complete crap shoot.

Certainly the possibility of Neal bouncing back was considered, otherwise there would be no pick at all. My question is why was the possibility of Edmonton getting a 20+ goal scorer for a 4th line mook only valued at a 3rd round pick?

It’s so baffling to me that I can only conclude Treliving blinked and made a trade designed by Holland to be a win-win for himself, and Edwards left him no choice.
Because it was, or the deal would have been different.

Once again ... do you think he didn't ask? Do you think he didn't try? Did Holland say how about a first and Treliving said "no that's too much!, how about a third instead?"

Short of these assumptions the answer is the answer. That's all he could get. So if 29 teams have zero interest, and one team has interest but only if you get a toxic asset back and they throw in a conditional third it pretty much tells you the league doesn't look at Neal as a "20+ goal scorer"

Right?

This trade can't be a win win for either side.

Calgary is getting Lucic.
Edmonton is getting Neal.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: