View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #1570
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've been running a string of watching football documentaries on Netflix. I finished the last episode of season 4 of Friday Night Tykes.

I thought that the constant exposure of these coaches would make them kind of change their ways. I mean they're getting blasted regularly by other football organizations out there. But I was horrified in the finals for the TYFA championship when one of the opposing coaches was offering players $50.00 to put a player out of the game. "Put him out and you'll get rich, it's that simple". The sad thing is, it was a woman coach, and they have to do things better and more professionally then any man. It was horrifying.

Last night I started to watch Last Chance U. Its about a community college football team that gets a lot of transfers from Div 1 schools. The players that are academically ineligible or have discipline problems. And they come to this tiny school so they can get another chance to transfer back to a division one school.

The football camera work is very good, but its tough to build drama because this school gets so many div one transfers that they've won two national championships and 25 games in a row. In the first game of the season they tried to make it look dramatic but in the end the final score was like 69 to 20.

The hardest part to watch in this series is the struggle to get these guys to care about the academic part of the deal. Where they have to go to class and maintain high averages to get back to division one. And they just can't or won't do it.

But its pretty well done.
I always got the feeling from the Last Chance U guys that if they were good enough they would make it back to div 1 - that academics and such just didn't matter, only football.

Kind of sad really.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote