View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 07:21 PM   #2187
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Concept plan for the Fieldhouse/Foothills Athletic Park...

https://t.co/TsrvURQjjM?amp=1
135page 28MB document... wow.
Lots of cool info in there including longer term development plans for Crowchild. Some great reference material to what other cities have done, as well as what could be done here too.

If nothing else everyone should take a look at slide #70... the tailgating party page. Obviously by then we will ALL be driving ONLY trucks. ha! eat that Musk! oh and slide #133 I think there's a drug deal going down bottom right.

Personally I still see major hurdles w.r.t. parking, ingress/egress (despite the major roadways nearby), not to mention community engagement. Crowchild may continue to be a major traffic bottleneck through that zone and I had hoped more could be done.

This space would be a perfect venue for in/outdoor/covered sports, conventions, and concerts... but Calgary (and that area) is incredibly noise averse and prone to NIMBY'ism. At least they do have consideration for year round activities... whereas currently it's basically a single season setup.

Not sure there if are any considerations for shared occupancy/usage with the adjacent UofC, as some of the UofC services and amenities are getting very old... and potentially some major new development is required.

Lastly... all this take time... and money. Looks like the city has taken over 10years to get to this point alone. With government funding and energy-based revenues in the crapper... are we looking at more taxation to cover this? or redeployment? Will post-Covid have any impact on this and/or university?
Evidently budget discussion was not part of this presentations scope.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote