View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 10:51 PM   #18
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Went Ollas-Mattson. Kanzig can barely skate at the junior level, I just don't see him being able to skate at the NHL level.
What is your definition of "can barely skate at the junior level", when Lowry states he is one of the quicker guys?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...rd-for-royals/

Quote:
“One intangible is that he is committed. He does everything that he needs to do to become a pro. He works, he knows where his deficiencies are and he knows that he has to concentrate on certain things to play better here and at the next level.”

Often times with big-bodied youngsters, skating skills and mobility are among the most challenging areas to develop. It wasn’t too long ago that a young Tyler Myers was spending significant time focusing on foot speed and acceleration drills both before and after practice with the Kelowna Rockets. Myers, who is said to stand about 6’8”, became a first round draft pick of the Buffalo Sabres and is now a five-year NHL veteran.

“Keegan moves extremely well,” Lowry said. “You put him in a race, a straight line, and he’s one of our quicker guys. As with all big guys, sometimes some things take a bit longer and foot speed is always a concern. But for us, we’ve seen vast improvement and that’s what you’re looking for in the development of these young guys.”
Apparently, he has gotten even a bit faster since he was a Royal.

Laterally, yes, he does need some work. However, his size (and long stick) with proper positioning can allow him to be a useful 5-7D. If Lowry states he is one of the quicker guys on the team (straight-line), I will take his word. Seeing Kanzig on the Hitmen + camp affirms what Lowry was saying is indeed true. Kanzig is surprisingly quick - though he does need to work on his lateral movement and his first step.

IMO, Kanzig is a very impressive skater for his size - especially his size and his age. I find that over-sized prospects are typically slower than Kanzig is now, and take a long time (if ever) to become better skaters.

Didn't I hear something about Kanzig being one of the faster skaters in the Flames' prospect camp or something? I vaguely recall someone saying something about it.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: