View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 04:54 PM   #12
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've posted this before but IMO it's fantastic, and a fun read in advance of tomorrow morning

https://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/fo...100-gold-1996/

Gilbert: They put you in these closed corridors when you’re getting ready. There is a lot of staring, a lot of chest pumping. We wouldn’t even take it on; we’ll let the running speak for itself. Jon Drummond was a big talker. He was a leadoff guy. Dennis Mitchell, again, talker. “We’re going to be leaving you guys after the second exchange. It will be over. This is our medal to have.” We wouldn’t say too much back but you do the talking to the guy on your leg. You’d make him know that this is your leg.
Bailey: When you watch track and field now you see the friendly conversations of guys in the field. When I competed, we were boxers. You’re really trying to manipulate the minds of seven guys. Which one of you guys have I beaten today before I even step to the line?
Esmie: Jon Drummond was faster than me on paper but anytime I ran a relay against that guy I’ve got his nuts in my hand. Because I’m a show-time guy. Leading into the Olympics I got a shirt that said “Relax, you’ve been erased.” The movie Eraser was out then. I walked past [Drummond] and I said to myself, “Please read it, please read it.” He said, “Oh, you’ve been erased.” I said, “Damn right, you’ve been erased.” If you have the ability to stop and read somebody’s shirt you’re not that focused. At that level, 90 percent is mental. If you can take somebody off mentally you have them in your back pocket.
Bailey: The Americans were probably faster than us if you stuck all of us in the 100-metre but I think sometimes they don’t understand the impact a baton has, that when another man is waiting for a baton, that baton is the most important thing in the world.
Esmie: Straight up, we were not the fastest team on paper.
Bailey: But you put Robert in there and he is upset because he hadn’t run the rounds. Glenroy was upset that he didn’t make the 100-metre. Bruny was upset that he didn’t make the final of the 100-metre. So it was a powder keg of upset. The fact is although the Americans were speaking the loudest, they were the underdogs.
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post: