View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 12:39 PM   #16
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsplasticeraser View Post
Kind of blows me away that the Sask teachers are striking because they want fewer students in their classes.

Like their grievance is they want to be more effective teachers, and they can't do that with so many kids.

Looking at my kids classes here in Calgary and they are 28-31 kids. It's a lot of rowdy kids and education must be compromised with such large class sizes.

Seems really easy for a government to agree to cap class sizes, I don't get why they are resisting?
lol. Those were the class sizes (even up to 35) through the early 80s and 90s when I was in school. Every single teacher in Canada knew those were the class sizes before their first day in the education program at university because they went through school with those exact class sizes.

The government is resisting class size reductions because of all the additional costs associated with reducing them. You'd need more buildings, more staff, etc. Plus, this works. Always has and always will.

As for kids' mental health issues, those have always been there, but we just have names for a bunch of them now that we didn't used to have. People haven't changed.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: