Thread: Shaw Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #1214
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
I don't know where else to dump this but it will get crawled and hopefully someone that needs it can find it. I dug this information up on the infinity site and not the shaw site. maybe it is there...maybe it isn't but I couldn't find it.

I bought shaw gigabit 2.0 infinity xb7 and it's great; everything works as advertised. I put the shaw router in bridge/passthrough mode.

I got the new router and it has 3 @ 1 Gb ports. it has another that is 3.25 Gb/s. Shaw does not currently offer this speed but the port itself works up to the speed that you pay to shaw. There were some reports online that you could get some "speed leakage" up to 20% on a Gb plan through that port so I decided to test that out. Unfortunately, I have not found speed leakage on shaw to be the case. I went and bought 2 CAT8 cables just to test it out and there is no upward speed leakage. one thing that concerned me was that instead of the usual green and orange flickering lights of a normal switch, it was bright orange flashing. it still worked at the advertised speeds. internet digging though helped me to discover that the flashing orange light was just a warning that I wasn't using the rated speeds down network even although I was using cat8 cable. This is true; I run a 1 Gb switch and related cabling but not at the 3.25 Gb rated speeds.

I also bought an Eero 6 pro mesh wifi to replace my Netgear Nighthawk. so far, the mesh is more stable, and delivers better speeds than my nighthawk did. so far my tests all confirm that the Eero are pushing great speeds throughout my house.

I don't know if this will help anyone...but hopefully the information on this new router helps.

The different colors denote different speed of the connection. They're standard across ethernet ports. Green is 100mbps, solid Orange is 1000mbps.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cSpooge For This Useful Post:
McG