View Single Post
Old 07-26-2021, 03:49 AM   #565
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Unless the goal is ultimately chauffeur-style self-driving cars, why not focus the money and energy on what would provide the most bang for the buck, which should be collision avoidance, i.e.) preventing a driver from making unsafe lane changes, automatic braking, or even automatic acceleration if there is a risk of being rear-ended. You don’t need self-driving to get the benefits of safety.

This would result in fewer accidents and hopefully lower insurance rates. Some of this exists to an extent in most car, and doesn’t even need to be EV-centric.

I am thinking the best way to move forward is: full electrification of personal vehicles and collision avoidance tech. I just don’t see the appeal of a somewhat finicky, have to be alert, “full” self-driving car that doesn’t allow me to take a power nap in the back seat or let me program in an 8 hour drive at 11pm so I arrive at my destination well-rested.
There's no objective reason why an electric car is any more likely to be self-driving than an IC powered vehicle. It happens that the current leader in both of them is the same company, but there isn't any reason that's ordained to be true.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote