View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 08:56 PM   #48
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
There's a good chance you're actually viewing a dynamic resolution well below 4k that's being upscaled for your TV. It's still going to be a good jump and a testament to the upscaler quality that you probably can't tell the difference, though. Very few games actually run at native 4k on a console and it's unfortunate that most people get sold on the idea that they are getting "4k" picture quality.
It depends on the game. The games I quoted (Battlefield and Destiny 2) both run at a native 4K resolution on Xbox One X, albeit at the expense of only running at 30 frames in Destiny's case. Some games will use a dynamic scaler and you'll notice the resolution drop during intense scenes, but there are a multitude of games out there now whose top-end is a full 4K, and which manage to maintain it more or less throughout. Gears 5 is a steady full 4K, Metro Exodus is a steady 4K (whereas it meets this resolution at something like 40-45% of the time on PS4 Pro).

Resolution-wise, optimization for these consoles has come a long way, so I'm not sure why one would contend that folks with 4K TV's and a game console are simply being sold a bag of goods. Now, frame rate's another discussion and is still where PC holds the obvious high ground (and the area I hope the next gen consoles will most quickly address).

Last edited by Max Cow Disease; 06-16-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Max Cow Disease is offline   Reply With Quote