View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #228
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

Whether we like to admit this or not as Flames fans, Matthew Tkachuk is not a franchise elite player, nor will he ever be. Our expectations for this guy and even his expectations for that matter are way too high. Tkachuk is a top line winger, thats where he tops out. He's a fantastic part of any team, but I sure hope Calgary doesn't think this guy is there saviour.

In my opinion he is a 25 goal guy and will range from 60-75 points at best, in his prime, which is right now.

He brings so much to this team, like intensity, heart, net front presence, and no one can deflect a puck better. He really reminds me of Draper, who made a living deflecting pucks and was so good down low. He was a very important part of Detroits cup winning teams.

Other than that, he has 'great' hands in tight, 'good' vision, 'average' playmaking abilities, 'below' average speed, 'below' average shot, and is an 'average' defender in our own zone.

Matthew Tkachuk is an absolute horrible skater. It doesn't get much worse for NHL players. He has zero acceleration, low top end speed, and falls on his *** 10 times a game. Skating is the number one thing Tkachuk doesn't have (unlike his brother).

This is why he can't take a team on his back and make players better around him. This is why he is not a player you can build your entire team around. He is always going to be very important, but he is not ever going to be 'the guy'. If Calgary does think he is 'the guy', they will never be a cup contending team.

What Tkachuk does, and why he is so valuable, is he drags his teammates into the fight (the game), and his give a #### level will always be the highest. He wants to win more than anyone on Calgary, and that is a true leader. This guy could easily be Calgarys next captain (which i think he should).

These things you can't teach, and you can't force a guy to have. This is in his DNA.

Matthew Tkachuk is an extremely important piece to Calgary team, but lets stop short of he is 'the guy'. Calgary has to lower their expectations for Tkachuk because he is not playing the way he should be. He is trying to be someone he is not right now. I would hate to see how bad Calgary is as a team if Tkachuk is ever their best player. Every player on ever team has their roles, and they are all an important role. Calgary needs every player to play to their strengths.

Last edited by Iggy Snipe; 02-27-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Iggy Snipe For This Useful Post: