View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #31
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
High Scoring Changes - who defines this?
It is placement on the ice where shots are taken: the "home plate" between the circles and up to the goal line.

Quote:
is a Shea Weber one time slapshot from the top of the circle more dangerous or a weak Sam Bennett wrist shot from the slot more dangerous? I am sure the advanced stats will tell you the shot from the slot is, but I bet the goalies will tell you otherwise. Just my opinion.
I think your example is likely an outlier.

I expect that HDSC is adduced from the fact that this is the place on the ice that the highest percentage of shots are converted into goals. The determination is based on an accumulation of huge amounts of data, which show that while (for example, and with numbers that I am inventing for the purpose of this exercise) 70% of shots from the slot are stopped by the goalie (like Bennett's), only 4% of shots from the point are converted into goals (like Weber's).

So, while a player like Weber will probably score more frequently than most other defensemen shooting from the point, the percentage of shots converted into goals from here will still be considerably lower than the total percentage of shots from the slot.

I am guessing here, but I bet that is the sort of thing thinking that helps to define the parameters of an HDSC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-21-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote