View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 12:58 PM   #10
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Is there a reason she wants Windows over Chromebook? For comparably priced models, I find a Chromebook so much speedy and satisfying to use, and can't think of any real reason for a Windows laptop outside gaming and some specialized tasks like the video editing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Make sure to get a laptop with a SSD vs HDD. This is basically non-negotiable. A computer without a SSD is awful and slow.
Size wise, ultra portable vs standard size aren't as big gaps as they used to be as long as the resolution is better than 1080. But 13.3" vs 15.6" may be a bigger concern. The smaller is better for porting around in a bag (ie: lighter with a bag full of textbooks), but if she's watching movies etc. on the side, or lots of data on the screen (ie: full screen spreadsheets) it's kinda small (can be addressed with a cheap $150 projector via HDMI).

Software related, I am guessing she can get student version office 365 for significant discount, so don't get suckered in on an upsell by that. .
Went through this 3 years ago with both my kids (both a UCalgary) and some solid advice here. My son (engineering) got a Lenovo and my daughter (science) has an ASUS. UCalgary provides a free copy of Windows Office for students so she will be good to go on that. Size wise, it is a tradoff between portability and usability/readability but to me I wound not go smaller than 15". A second monitor at home is nice too. Depending on if it is a full return to class I would also recommend a good headset rather than earbuds if she will be online learning in any capacity. I've never had a Chromebook but don't you need to be connected to internet to use one? My kids say WiFi at UCalgary is pretty spotty so would not want to rely on a solid connection all the time. Not sure if that factors into Windows vs Chromebook.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote