View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #1163
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
You are assuming that people with a different opinion than you are not being honest about why they feel that way. That is incredibly arrogant.

I think what people are challenging you on is that there is value to a sports team that goes beyond both the direct economic impacts AND ones personal love for a team.
For instance, if I lived in Calgary (as I do) and cheered for a different team (e.g. the Canes) I would still really want their to be an NHL club here because I think it adds to the broader culture of the city and the fabric of that society. And the more you start to strip that stuff away, the less interesting and compelling a city becomes.
These are the points people are trying to make and they don't deserve to be shouted down by you about them.
It's not that they disagree, it's using untrue information to do so. If they're trying to use economic impact as the hub of their argument, they are being dishonest. It's never been proven, and will never be proven. It's based on vague, intangible assumptions. There's two decades of examples of this all across North America.

And I already said other arguments are valid, but at least be up front about them and don't try to couch them in the above. No one is shouting down anyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: