View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 10:04 AM   #26
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
I don't know what the right answer is, but something needs to be done.

These gang members are free to carry guns around with little to no consequence.

Myself, and others, that are competition shooters needs to follow the letter of the law to the T, or we face up to two years in jail automatically. We don't go before a judge, and we get a summary conviction for a paperwork or administrative crime (i.e. forgot a piece of paper, or it fell out of my bag, etc.). Nothing that ever endangered anyone, just a piece of paper like the registration (they won't accept a digital copy like a backup on your phone).

On the one hand, we're happy to comply with whatever laws exist in order for us to keep enjoying our sport. On the other hand we look at some of these cases that involve ILLEGAL handguns and ILLEGAL possession and use, and you shake your head in disbelief.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I've always advocated to tougher laws and sentencing for the use of firearms in the commission of a crime. If someone is carrying, maybe they're doing so because their job is inherently dangerous and needs it for protection (i.e. drug dealer), even if their job is illegal. Fine, have a somewhat lighter sentence for that, but still enforce the law. If the same guys shoots or threatens someone with the gun then throw the book at him.
Add to this, that when talking turkey about how to tackle the issue, politicians and a certain segment of the population suggest that our handguns need to be banned, firearms should have tighter controls, ect.

Which of course does nothing for the problem, but appears to be "doing something".
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post: