View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 10:26 AM   #372
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Not to mention the vast majority of the clip shows part of the Sub above water - I understand that while the Persian Gulf is still an large area, but to an uneducated observer, that seems... sad to brag about finding?

Your twitter link didn't work for me, found this video online

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...itary-exercise
The Twitter link should work now; I missed the number '1' at the beginning of the Twitter ID.

I'm not sure Iran is bragging; they're just reporting what they saw. It's no different than the Americans showing their flag, letting the Iranians know they're there. The Iranian response is, yeah, we know you are there and we can sort you out if and when the time comes.

But, you see, the Americans can then just say, well, you only know we're there because we told you last month. The USN made a big show on 21 Dec, announcing the Georgia entering the Gulf. It made a port call in Bahrain, too, so it wasn't any secret.

Relating to this, the USS Ohio made an appearance on 4 Jan 21 in Guam.

At the time of the USS Georgia detection, the Iranians were conducting a naval exercise - testing an anti-ship missile. It seems the Georgia attempted to enter the exercise area but left once it knew it was detected.

Subs aren't difficult to track in the Gulf; the average depth is 60m. It's a bath tub for submarines which can quickly turn into Davey Jones' Locker for them. They can attack first, but it's a high probability they wouldn't be able to exit the Gulf.