Thread: Mega-threads
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Thumbs down Mega-threads

Can someone explain the logic of mega-threads to me?

"Kassian to have a hearing" thread started. 600 posts of discussion later and we finally get the news he will be suspended for 2 games. What is the more user friendly scenario?

A) Discussion of the new news carries on in the old thread for the old news beginning at post 632.

B) A new thread is started for the new news.

In scenario A, those who have followed all 600 posts of the thread see the news as it breaks. Those who gave up after 300 posts have to either search frustratingly for the relevant sureloss post, or, if the thread starter has edited the OP, return to the first page and follow the link to see new discussion of new news.

In scenario B, we click on the new thread and discussion commences.

Scenario A is messy, convoluted, unorganized, and excludes those who weren't part of the initial discussion. For some reason, users of this forum fear starting new threads. If no one wants to do it, fine. But if someone does and the new thread and new posts for the new news is amalgamated into the old thread with the old posts for the old news, it's even messier than before.

If this is our forum logic, then why do we have a seperate GDT, GT, and PGT? How about we keep everything in one thread? The OP can update the first post to tell us which post contains the puck drop and we are off. The OP can then update the first post to tell us when the buzzer went and we can discuss what happened post game. Why not? Because it would be ridiculous, cluttered, confuse discussion, and disuade new sign ups from lurking or posting (assuming they have a twitter account, facebook account, work email, blood sample, carrier pigeon, etc required for sign up). I don't get where the fear comes from, but people are sometimes bumping YEARS old threads to add some new news.

It's completely baffling to me and if someone could explain, that would be swell, thanks.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post: