View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 12:15 PM   #33
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefoss1957 View Post
I don't like the thought of trading a R shot 20 yo D-man for a Forward...I am not a fan of this deal.

As far as the 'Hawks success at drafting, besides Toews at #3 overall and Kane, the wins were in getting value in rounds 2 through 4, and doing a decent job of Euro scouting, to find undervalued gems like Panarin or Teravainen.

I will defend the Hossa contract, it was legal under the CBA at that time, and only after the 'Hawks won again, were ex post facto changes to the CBA made, to punish those kinds of contracts. In the US, ex post facto changes in law are routinely ruled unenforceable, and I would have been interested to see the NHL litigated for such targeted contract agreements.

But bottom line, about this trade, Bowman gave away a more valuable asset in a high round D-Man for no apparent reason.
It's clear that the Hawks soured on Joker after watching him play.

Whether they are ultimately right or not, they certainly didn't view him as a 1-2 d-man in the making.

I think you'll see Nylander playing with Strome and Debrincat, since he can play his off wing. Bowman stressed that Nylander can do that, I think for a reason.

Like with most trades, time will tell.

Chicago showed you can pick up d-men relatively easy these days, it's top 6 forwards which seem to be in shorter supply. Calgary still needs one.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote