View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #13
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

So. Many. Costs.

I just completed an OHS inspection on my business. You obviously have to (and should want to) comply with everything they demand, but holy crap that can be expensive. I installed a safety shower/eye wash station ($2k), sent two people to first aid courses, sent one person to an OHS course, spend ~20 hours updating our policy book and hazard/risk assessments, bought upgraded coveralls, goggles, signage, forklift maintenance, adding improved railings around our mezzanine, new first aid kit (ours wasn't OHS approved), and the list goes on. Thousands of dollars when it was all said and done - we're a better/safer company for it, but it didn't come cheap.

Running a business, there are always surprises like this. We were just trucking along when the OHS guy showed up and six weeks later we had spent a lot of money.

Also expect to spend a lot of time on weird government requirements. I have to do a monthly survey of manufacturing for Stats Can, as well as a super comprehensive annual one. Other things like that pop up often enough that it equates to several unbillable hours of your time just to stay on top of what's required of you.

Your rent is one thing, but I have yet to go a year without an additional bill from my landlord for over-and-above rent items that he needs to be compensated for. Can't remember the term, but you have to pay the bill.

IDK, make sure whatever it is you're going to do is going to spit out a lot of money. There are a lot of hands out that you have to prioritize ahead of your own.

If I were you, I'd find a shop that is slow and sublet directly off a guy and operate out of the corner of his shop. How do you find a guy looking to sublet? IDK, maybe start knocking on doors. You should consider a space that allows you to fly under the radar somewhat and walk away from the whole thing without worrying about leases and all the other crap that goes along with being more official. At least until you have established yourself somewhat and can know that you're going to be successful.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: