View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 01:00 PM   #64
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I don't know, we live in a much freer country and we willingly accept significant government and corporate surveillance into our private lives, so I'm not sure why anyone would expect the Chinese population to stage a revolution over that. Particularly when you've lived in that environment your whole life.

Ultimately, people will tend to trade prosperity and security for their rights. As long as China's per-capita GDP keeps growing as fast as it is, people will be generally happy with their government. I suspect their growth will slow in the somewhat near future (their demographics aren't looking great) and then there will be more of a reckoning, and maybe that's already happening to some degree with the economic effects of their zero-COVID policy.

As an aside, why is "digital id" the new fear? Is having to show that somehow worse than having to show physical ID?
I am fairly confident if I am walking down the street minding my own business, I can decline to show any form of ID to any government official without fear of being thrown in prison. I have the right to have a lawyer intervene and represent me. And all my Covid passport granted me was the ability to go to the Keg or a concert. It did not infringe on my fundamental human rights to exist or to not be imprisoned in an internment camp at the goverments whim.

Although I am sure there are a lot of people on this very board, that feel those types of punishments are appropriate, I certainly do not. As someone who is fully vaccinated, I still believe people have the right to decline as well. At some stage, you have to allow people to live their lives, and place the onus on those wishing to live in a bubble, to supply their own.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote