View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 11:53 PM   #59
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
In a city the size of Calgary, or Canada in general, we are so sparsely populated.

If I want to travel from one suburb to another in different city quadrants, personal transport is at least 2-3 times quicker than transit. Even with improved transit, I can't see myself ever wanting to wait around for the bus/train. I don't want to go to Banff for a weekend and be bound by somebody else's schedule.

It seems like a lot of these articles think the New York model applies to every city in the world. We don't even have passenger train to Edmonton.
I don't think you're understanding the service. It wouldn't work in rural areas, but it would work in Calgary just fine. At any point in time, there would be a car within 1 minute of where you are based on density and it would come for you. Think of it exactly like uber, but with exponentially more cars available and made more convenient by algorithms having placed them in more conveniently available areas. The car picks you up and drops you off as often as you like.

For example, after a hockey game there would be thousands of cars available at a set of pre determined areas. You hop in and go. You want to go to the mall at 3pm on a wednesday, you open the app, hail a car, and within a minute it's there. All for much lower than owning a car, because that one car transports about 5-10 times as many people as 1 car owned by a single owner.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote