View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #3035
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I have a science question and didn't want to make a totally new thread for it. Figured bumping this would get me the right crowd. Have a relativity question I think I'm right about but want make sure.

If I'm travelling to a different planet at light speed. Let's say 50 years. Earth experiences the full 50 light years of time (however long), yes? What about the planet I'm travelling to? Does it only go through 50 years of change while you get there?
If the planet earth and planet X are traveling at the same speed relative to each other or at least less than 1000 times less than the speed of light than time in the "rest" frame of reference would occur equally between the two.

Now the ship traveling at the speed of light will undergo acceleration and deceleration (elimination of the twins paradox) so it is the ship that the relativistic affects will apply to. So 50 years would pass in the rest frame and zero time would pass in the moving frame. at 99% of the speed of light 10% of the time or 5 years would pass. (I might be screwing up the Lorentz transform through)

All times measured from the rest frame.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: