View Single Post
Old 05-26-2022, 02:56 PM   #12
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Yeah, it isn't really a back-door. A back-door suggests you aren't being made aware of it, and right off the bat, you will / may be prompted to authorize corporate management of your machine (or click the 'Allow management of this app only').

The result of allowing machine management means the company can dictate if you are required to install certain updates within a specified timeframe, update software that is out of date or contains a known vulnerability, etc. Whether at the document or machine level, this management can also mean that you get information rights management applied to your documents by default, so you need to ensure you change the sensitivity label to whatever the "non-business, don't touch my stuff" option is, provided your company has configured one to begin with.

It is not the boogeyman, but nor is it something to be taken lightly.
So it's not really a back door or stealing of sensitive information per se, but if you use "their tool" to create something, they can technically attempt to claim that creation in corporate property or something strange like that?

So it's less computer vulnerability even with the ability to push updates and a little more of an odd legal ownership vulnerability of things created using the software they own? Huh... interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

This doesn't completely help me understand how to completely explain that those $5 license codes of M365 on eBay aren't a good idea on personal and non-key work computers. I wish I knew what key words to look into to research this further.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote