View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 01:44 PM   #91
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got mine delivered last week after a short delay and some battling with Fedex - ended up having to go to the airport depot to make sure I got it in my hands. My impressions after probably about 20 hours with it are that it's a great piece of hardware with a few minor hardware flaws.

I am finding that for one of the main things I wanted to use it for - platformers - the controls aren't quite robust enough for it to be a great experience. The sticks are good, but all the other inputs are a bit less substantial and responsive than I want, with the result that, for example, I'm simply a lot better at Hollow Knight on a normal PC than on the deck. Same for things like Dead Cells, Hades, etc, some of which I specifically waited to play on the deck. I still will, but it's not QUITE the ideal experience I was envisioning. I think this is just an inevitable result of trying to get a whole package together that they can sell for $499 - between the screen, the APU, cooling, the engineering costs, and everything else, the touch points just weren't going to be fully skookum at that price point.

For things like JRPGs or action games where immediate reactions and precision aren't crucially important, though, it works great. I'm playing Trails of Cold Steel and it's a great experience right out of the box without any issues despite the game not being verified. Things like Mass Effect work fine (though I still can't figure out the gyro controls), because it's not like you have to be perfect to play that sort of game. Speakers are great, though I usually play with headphones, and I don't have any issues with fan noise or heat - that may be because I'm not pushing it hard or playing new games, to be fair.

All in all quite happy with the purchase - I think the 64GB is for sure the best deal, though. If they come out with another generation I might lean that way.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote