View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 10:10 AM   #18
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Agreed. Eau Claire Market is a negative anchor on its potential and they need to bulldoze it. Re-do it in a pseudo Deerfoot City style with single level shops that people actually need. Maybe small footprint Home Depot type stores, a real grocery store, have a replacement for the cineplex, even one with just a few screens. At least try to make some of the shops suitable for daily life. No more specialty olive oil stores.

I know that was the general plan to tear the market down, but clearly it's not going to happen. They'll probably just build more apartment towers to exacerbate the lack of essential shopping.
More savvy development type people may need to chime in but I think even in this economy here the land is just too valuable to only put a Deerfoot City style 1 floor development in the Markets place. It's going to need density, Harvard owns the site and I just don't see them doing anything in the near future, even more so with the Green line delays and uncertainty about the station that would go on 2nd street.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote