View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 10:49 AM   #124
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since this thread was created the Flames have signed Nordstrom, Simon, Nesterov, and Leivo. I think all of these depth signings have helped turn this into the best Free Agent signing period of Treliving’s tenure and perhaps in the history of the franchise.

It is rare if ever the Flames land one of the big fish like they did with Markstrom. I am also not sure why some in the media have been saying it was a huge overpay. Markstrom is a top 5 goalie but only the 9th highest cap hit at his position. Many goalies are starters in their 31-36 aged seasons. A true slam dunk for the organization.

Tanev is not ideal but a top 4D for 4.5M is a decent price. I just wish it was 2 years instead of 4 but end of the day Tanev will be a key member of the blueline next year and brings a lot of leadership and intangibles the team covets.

The depth signings are a result of the flat cap but Treliving has done a great job getting guys in the 26-28 prime age range to come in at the minimum. Replacing Reider, and Jankowski with Simon and Leivo are upgrades imo and adding Nordstrom and Nesterov as depth were solid additions.

Absolutely this has been a success. In fact it is such a success that I am not pining for that franchise altering trade I was certain would happen once Dallas beat them.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post: