View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #42
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The reduction in calories argument gets old, and I hate that people post such simplistic views on the subject.

IF works because it alters your relationship with food (for most people a relationship that is unhealthy), and it helps you fight the cravings. After two weeks of IF I am literally not hungry anymore after 7 PM. As long as you eat healthy foods during your eating window and make sure you hit your target calories, IF will absolutely work.

That being said, eating less carbs is a goal everyone should go for. Pretty obvious that the whole 'more carbs, less fat' mantra was a complete lie and utter failure in terms of health policy.
You touched on the points on why keto gets results versus other so called fad diets.

Diets inherently get you in a calorie deficit. Great, except you generally are starving, hungry, and eventually either you complete your diet goal and go back to your old ways, or fail before you hit it because it's too difficult. People on the outside snicker.

Keto resolves some of the issues prevalent with other types of diet. It's not new either, the Atkins diet (side note wow that wiki page got totally vandalized) would get you in ketosis at times. Paleo is a themed diet but one which can also get you in ketosis at times.

Ketosis is a state, and one that takes getting used to, but the biggest advantage, especially as your body adapts, is that you no longer get hunger or cravings when going without food for a while.

Both my wife and I have been doing keto for 2 years now. I lost 30-40 pounds on it in the first 6 months and much leaner now, now I just maintain. My wife does fitness and weight lifting and loves the energy levels. My wife's mom also joined it and she loves it as well, it cleared up many of her nagging health problems.

Keto has become a fad yes, I see people get on it all the time because they think they can eat bacon all day and lose fat, similar to when Atkins was big. I love that it has become mainstream though, mainly because it provides some awesome keto products that were hard to come by in the past. Some retailers are stubborn and have no idea why some products are getting popular, (Superstore) while others embrace it and have started catering (co-op, Costco).

Unfortunately, with any fads, come the fad followers, who inundate forums about gluten free products like it matters, policing anything based on ingredient list no matter what the actual net carbs say, or asking how to be keto while vegan (????). This tends to annoy the heck out of people.

Just because something became a fad however doesn't make it ineffective, those who live it understand. It's also not supposed to be a diet, it's a lifestyle change that contradicts everything that the media and food industry has been saying for 60 years. It's being portrayed as gimmicky, when really it's just a metabolic state that exists in every human (fasting is an evolved human trait as well, and works very well).
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post: