View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 02:56 PM   #10581
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its funny that the war in the air has become this high tech stalemate, which is a bit of a surprise to me as the Russian's had the edge in terms of sheer number of front line aircraft and they had the more advanced birds.

Don't get me wrong, I've always liked the Mig 29, it was probably one of the best homegrown jets that the Russian's had built in a long time. It was an absolute beast in its time both in air to ground, and as a dog fighter.

One of the nice things about the design was it could theoretically use NATO weapons, With the newer missiles and bombs that's more uncertain though NATO still claims it can be done.
I always preferred the Su-27 myself, simply because the Mig has no legs at all. I remember listening to a US Navy fighter pilot that was hired to help train with the Malaysian air force after he retired. When they were doing exercises with the Mig-29's, he would have to take off from his air base, fly across the country to where the Mig-29's, they'd come up and play for a few minutes before running out of gas and having to land. It makes sense given their design more as a point defense fighter, but sure limits it's use. He said half their fights wouldn't even end before the Mig was Bingo fuel.

Then my complete anecdotal silly evidence of being a DCS player for years backs this up, lol
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote