View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #13421
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
As I continue to hear more and more Darryl Sutter quotes, the more I’m convinced Gio stays. Based on the usage, the comments Darryl made during the season and at the end of the season, I just can’t imagine Sutter being ok with icing Chris Tanev and a pile of under 25 defensemen. He practically blamed the failed season on the young defensemen on the team. These are not the types of responses or actions from a man who wants to see his top defenseman lost to Seattle.

I actually can foresee a pairing of Gio-Tanev as the #1 pair next season with Gio leading the team in average ice time. That’s my prediction. Might not be a popular opinion here, but the evidence seems to lean that direction.
Which I'm actually completely okay with. Giordano's demise as this team's best defenseman is highly overstated, similar to the overstating of the ability of a kid like Valimaki. Last summer, there were some who were hopeful that Valimaki would be a Top 4 defenseman this season, ignoring the typical path of a prospect that isn't an elite, blue chip defenseman like an Ekblad or Hedman.

Giordano had a rough first half, but by the end of the year was, once again, the team's best defenseman. Flames are much better with him on the team than removed.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post: