View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #21
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I am not entirely sold on severe work related punishments for non work related crimes. I get in pro sports theres the optics and PR side that players are being poor ambassadors for the league and in a way need to be held accountable, but what Watson did was a legal matter dealt with by the legal system. What does his employer have to do with it?

I work a desk job in marketing; so if I got a DUI, what would that have to do with my job? If I hit my wife, why would work care? If I stole a toothbrush from wal-mart is that problematic in my performing my duties? (and yes, I realize if I was a driver a DUI would matter; if I was a banker theft would matter, etc)

I get it; domestic violence is reprehensible. But I honestly don't think I support any suspension in a situation like this. Heck, if they are worried about optics, all this has done is make the incident that much more visible. I read quite a bit of hockey news, and I had either missed or already forgotten that this was even a thing. So any harm to the leagues reputation was minimal.

I'm sure this opinion won't go over well. I'm all about calling out weirdos like Weinstein et al, but I think we are getting pretty caught up.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote