View Single Post
Old 01-25-2023, 05:46 PM   #205
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
So we are on the same page, youre saying they once had a home pre addiction, got addicted to drugs and lost their home, so that's proof they dont need housing before addressing addiction? That's my understanding of your point anyways, please feel free to ecludiate me if I'm misinterpreting you

Can you answer the question in the original post that you quoted, ie how much harder would it be to get sober while homeless vs having a place to live

I dont get what's so hard to understand about the fact that trying to get clean when you live underneath a bridge by the river is exponentially harder than trying to get sober with a predictable living situation. If our goal is to get people clean,we need to give them a place to live as a baseline before anything else because that lifestyle naturally leads itself towards maintaining the drug addict status quo. If you have nothing to live for, no place to stay, why WOULDNT you just do drugs to numb yourself from your awful existence
Why is it that those that have housing and addictions generally need to attend a privately run rehab centre to successfully kick their addiction yet it’s thought all that homeless need is a house, and a weekly meeting with an addictions counselor? It’s more complex than that.

Yes of course it’s impossible from living in a tent under a bridge. It’s also not that possible for many without ultimate measures. You can’t just give them a home and say now that you have a place don’t go do meth tonight. They need detox and a regularly administered prescription substitute to flip their situation from “must get today’s drug hit at all costs” to “I don’t need it anymore to exist and I can pursue greater things”.

I don’t think anyone’s angle is round people living on the streets up in vans and ship them to some draconian facility. You provide them the option. Those who want to get clean (with consistent warm meals, showers and a bed) will take the option. Those that don’t, you can’t really expect great success with those people.

If they’re arrested for criminal behaviour while under the influence of a narcotic they are admitted.

Watch the documentary Hemi posted and see what they’re doing in Rhode Island.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 01-25-2023 at 05:52 PM.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post: