View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #40
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
While I'm also unhappy with substituting Bart in, this is what I believe to be the reasoning behind it.

The Blue Jackets are the size and skill deal, creating chances off the cycle and through an aggressive, physical forecheck.

That's where Bart comes in. The Flames need their defencemen to turn into the surliest grumps possible if that happens, and Bart loves physicality. He will throw himself into the fray even though he's more slight. And while he handles the puck like it's a cinderblock, at least he can skate well enough to not be wildly out of position... I hope.
Good thinking. I had a similar thought as to why the potential substitution. Although I don't dislike Bartkowski as others might - a team needs all their players over the course of the season- I think, if this is in fact the reason, it's an example of the coaching staff overthinking or allowing their preconceptions to take over.

Kulak is playing great, skating well and moving the puck smartly. The idea he can't keep up his level against a physical opponent is wrongheaded IMO. You have to let Kulak experience that style if the plan is to have him an everyday player. Maybe his skills can negate the forecheck with speed to get out of the zone fast. Rather than inviting play in your end with a guy who will withstand the physicality. The Caps had heavy players and the combination of Smith's passes to Kulak (et al) and Kulak's quick thinking and passes got CGY out clean and on the attack.

I'm not a fan of platooning Kulak against certain teams especially when his game is going good. This notion of Kulak not being strong or not being able to pin guys effectively is not taking into consideration his increased confidence and growth in his game. Coaches are overthinking. Why change a winning lineup?

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 11-21-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post: