View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #16
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Typically, if we finance land prior to a building we'll finance 50% of the lot value, regardless if you are a developer or an individual. If we're doing the build, we'll typically finance more. Depends on borrowers overall strength.

As kermitology mentioned, your draws don't always match to the invoicing. It's incredibly important that your builder understands that your progress draws happen based on progress reports that indicate the percentage of building complete.

You can use Genworth/CMHC to help finance a higher percentage of your build (up to 95%), but that adds to your borrowing cost.

I will say in many times when cashflow is a challenge in parts of the build, we have setup people with a Line of Credit to help pay for things while they wait for their next advance. So you don't necessarily need to have $100K as a float, but the more you have the easier the process is.

I've done several builds in my time. If you have any specific questions about the process I can elaborate on details. I've offered many CPers information, and I never expect any business in return. Just want to help.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post: