View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 05:27 PM   #17
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Schedule finally allowed me to jump into one with Hockey Operations (not too interested in the players sessions). Listened on-and-off while working so missed probably half of it. Some repetition with what other posters mentioned.

This afternoon's session was supposed to be Brad Treliving but he had to dip out for personal reasons so it was John Bean and Craig Conroy.

Building
- The architect has been chosen
- Three construction companies bid on the project. Doing interviews now.
- Timeline is obviously crunching but no issue hitting opening date goal at this time.
- Five cohort buildings chosen, all of which the Flames will tour with the architect and construction company they choose. Plan to take pros and cons from each. The five are Edmonton, Las Vegas, Detroit, Columbus, and Minneapolis (Timberwolves).
- Ownership has a list of nine (I think he said) priorities. The number one priority is atmosphere and creating the best home-ice advantage possible, which means they want the seats to be steep and as much red as possible.
- Have heard lots about washroom problems at the 'Dome. One thing they have already learned from Edmonton is that Edmonton actually has more toilets/person than the old arena but they are poorly located. Studying optimal placement.
- Planning to include a focus group of season ticket holders for in-person involvement through the process. Have to sign up then random draw.

Hockey
- Calgary is out of the running as a hub city. Down to Edmonton or Vegas if they go with division hubs.
- Still holding out hope to finish the final eight games but seems like straight to playoffs, though always changing.
- Conroy's most hated player was Ryan Smyth, followed by Steve Yzerman.
- When Conroy was still playing, he asked Wayne Gretzky to autograph a picture after a game but Gretzky said absolute not because Conroy hit him hard during the game. Mark Messier ended up getting it signed for Conroy.
- Conroy says it's a tough spot for Lucic as he has precedent this year of getting suspended for throwing one punch in a scrum where everyone else apparently doesn't.
- Rules obviously not decided, but don't imagine Valimaki can play and retain exemption status. But if he's the best player to help them win he'll play and burn it.

- No ticket announcement until games remaining are official, but option will be credit to next season or outright refund.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 05-12-2020 at 07:30 PM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post: