View Single Post
Old 11-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't buy that they grip the sticks tighter because of Smith. I just don't believe that any thoughts are running through Backlund's head when he whiffs on an open net. I think if Bennett's pressuring himself in tight it's about his own production and how he wants to improve it (and not Smith). Bennett gets in his own head (remember when he scored and mimed taking a monkey off his back).

In other words, if there's sticks being gripped tight, there's nothiing more complex than "I haven't scored in a long time".
Really? I dont believe you and even if you're telling the truth I think you're incorrect.

Sorry man, when your goalie lets in muffins from everywhere then everyone holds their sticks tighter and the stress becomes palpable.

Because you get the feeling that you cant allow any shots against because anything could go in. Theres no faith in your goaltender.

Nobody is taking risks because the most innocuous and innocent of chances against could be the one that makes you lose.

Having no faith in your goaltender is like an infectious disease. It ruins morale, kills swagger and eliminates creativity. You only always want to make the safe play. No taking risks because they might wind up in the back of your net.

Its not fair to compare Smith to Kipper, but Kipper instilled confidence in his team. Sure, he'd let in a bad goal from time to time, but he also made saves that he had no business making. His confidence and coolness infected the team.

Smith's lack thereof and panicky demeanor is doing the same but in a negative sense.

We need a goalie that can make routine 'NHL Goaltender' saves. Right now that seems like Rittich.

It seems proven that it isnt Smith, and if it eventually proves not to be Rittich then Treliving has to roll the dice and find someone else, but we cannot continue with sub .900 goaltending.

The real concern for me is that Treliving has brought in some goaltenders with pedigree in the past few years and they have all crumbled monumentally. Is that a fault of Treliving's ability to gauge talent or is something else going on? We've had a cavalcade of otherwise competent goaltenders absolutely crap the bed on us and its becoming time for fingers to be pointed. One way or another.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: