View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #43
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Hoping for a breakout at this point would be foolish as this likely means 40-50 points, at best, given his offensive acumen (or lack thereof) over his first 4 years. He's still a good two-way player on this team and checks the box as tough to play against.

If I'm Bennett and the Flames I'm looking hard at guys like Jarnkrok who signed long term deals in similar situations. That 6 year $12M deal Jarnkrok and the Predators signed is probably more like 5 years/$15M in today's NHL, but it would make a lot of sense for both Bennett and the Flames to go longer term given the team actually needs a few hard nosed players that can play up and down the lineup.

It would be a good gamble for the Flames. If Bennett does somehow turn into a consistent 40 point guy, you're getting a bargain given everything else he does on the ice. If he doesn't, no real loss. He's still a guy that doesn't hurt you at all on a bargain of a contract.
I agree with this. If I'm Bennett agent I'm looking at long term for slightly elevated cap. Term ending around when Sam is 27 or 28 leaving a chance for 1 big contract. Imo the only way Sam proves himself to deserve a huge raise would come in playoffs. Hes just not effective on the pp to think he might bust out and get 50 points over the next 2 years

My guess these are estimated options for Sam

2 x 2.5
3 x 2.75
4 x 3
5 x 3.5

If we took 5 x 3.5 he makes an extra 2 mil in the first 2 years. In 2 years it's hard to predict what he get but without a 45 or more point season and potential 1 year arbitration deals he may only play his way into a 4 to 5 mil deal. 5 mil deal would likely be 5 to 6 years. I'd take 5 x 3.5 if I was him which gives him 5 years to figure it out and higher salary next year and guaranteed 17.5 mil contract expiring when he is in his prime leaving him enough years to get 8 years st max cap hit rather than reduced cap hit due to age of future contract expiring when hes in his late 30s

If I'm the flames I take it as the timeline for this core is 3 years or less. I'd rather have Bennett at 3.5 in gio and Johnny's last year than him being an rfa in a year where flames could be all in

If the flames decided before this that this core can't get it done. Bennett at 3.5 with 3 or so years left on deal could be a nice trade chip

Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote