View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #34
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Hoping for a breakout at this point would be foolish as this likely means 40-50 points, at best, given his offensive acumen (or lack thereof) over his first 4 years. He's still a good two-way player on this team and checks the box as tough to play against.

If I'm Bennett and the Flames I'm looking hard at guys like Jarnkrok who signed long term deals in similar situations. That 6 year $12M deal Jarnkrok and the Predators signed is probably more like 5 years/$15M in today's NHL, but it would make a lot of sense for both Bennett and the Flames to go longer term given the team actually needs a few hard nosed players that can play up and down the lineup.

It would be a good gamble for the Flames. If Bennett does somehow turn into a consistent 40 point guy, you're getting a bargain given everything else he does on the ice. If he doesn't, no real loss. He's still a guy that doesn't hurt you at all on a bargain of a contract.
40- 50 points for a third liner who doesn't get PP time and plays with grit is actually very good.

I just don't think Bennett is likely to limit himself with a long term deal.

He's the kind of guy who might be open to an offer sheet, as he won't
be worth the type of compensation that harms the signing team, and Bennett might well appreciate an opportunity where he gets better top 6 minutes.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote