Thread: 2019 Formula 1
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #554
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Ugh. What a boring ass race. The start looked interesting and the first few laps seemed like a couple good battles we're shaking out. Then the middle 30 laps were painful, followed by a decent last 5 laps. I'll have to watch it again when I get home...and cool down. But couple things I noticed, and maybe Cecil can chime in from Montreal.

1) Mercs turn in and exit very different than other cars. They seem to have almost a controlled snap over steer. It's like the brake, turn, car rotates very quickly to be straight on exit and they drop the hammer. Every other car seems to "round" off the corner and that delay let's Mercs turn so much faster.

2) The F1 cars are relatively quiet. F2 was louder.

3) McLaren looked really good and Renault was punchy. Didn't see what caused the penalties to Ricciardo. They actually announced "no further investigation" at the track.

4) Paul Ricard is a big ass circuit in the middle of nowhere. The French are thieves and would steal anything not nailed down. Saw maybe 30 - 50L oil tanks go, big flags of Giovanazzi, and even a 100m marker. Was sooooo weird.
There’s no F2 in Montreal but i didn’t think the Ferrari challenge or GT3 were much difference for loudness. Only needed earplugs when we stood right on the fence near the wall of champions for F1. Anything further than about 10 feet away and the sound is fine.

I can confirm that anything not nailed down was fair game after the race. DRS signs, brake marker boards and bits of carbon fibre go first. There was some worry about protecting Lando’s car that just sat at the near the pit exit when fans rushed the track after the race

People even took the Pirelli signs that are basically thin plastic taped to the walls. And that’s no easy task, that stuff is like one giant long piece of super sticky wallpaper.

My mom picked up a chunk of tire marble as the worlds smallest and most pointless keepsake, put it on her ticket lanyard to take home.

In 2016 I saw a guy rolling a tire onto the metro that he got from one of the Ferrari challenge cars, which is crazy because the metro so busy. They are happy to give those away though, saves them the cost of recycling them.

As for the cars, I admit I didn’t pay enough attention to the difference between specific teams and how they took the corners, but you could definitely tell which cars nailed the turn 1 exit/turn 2 entry and how it affected their turn 2 exit speed.

It was also fun to watch them brake hard and attack the entry to turn 1.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: