View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 07:02 AM   #31
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Seriously? That was the point. That actually was gratuitous, but only within the actual context of the film. Joe had just lost his lover, and then a sleazy ad brings her back to him, only devoid of character or meaning, and he's confronted with her face and voice as this empty vessel tries to seduce him. That scene is ####ing heartbreaking, and parallels Wallace bringing Rachel back to torment Deckard.

Whoosh.
Yeah yeah I got that, I mean come on, it's not exactly subtle, more like a freaking hammer to the face in execution. That's pretty much why I didn't like that small scene, even though I like the idea behind it. The idea of the scene and the execution of the scene are after all two very separate things.

The scene didn't hit home for me as I didn't feel it reflected the desires of K or his relationship with JoiI didn't see the relationship as very sexual, especially on the part of K who never seemed that interested in sex. For me that overtly sexualized ad just seemed very out of place, like they were going for kind of a cheap shock instead of a more subtle approach.

I'm not saying that dissonance could not have been the very point or that others should feel the same way I do, I can only comment on how I felt about what I saw. To me it felt gratuitous and unnecessary and I would have preferred a more subtle approach.

(It's spelt Joi btw, trust the people who see films with subtitles I was kind of wondering whether the filmmakers knew Joi is also an acronym for Jerk Off Instructions. Seems very appropriate whether it was intentional or not.)

About the food for thought part;

I'm sure this is purely a matter of taste, but I much prefer films like the original which take a very small number of themes and explore them with depth, instead throwing a ton of questions around without even trying to give any answers to them. I'm not denying there's merit in the latter approach, which is pretty much what 2049 did, but to me it has always felt kind of shallow, like the film makers ultimately don't have that much to say, or don't dare to say it.

Last edited by Itse; 10-13-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote