View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 05:56 PM   #38
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
I can only speak intelligently to the chess scandal (and, really, only sort of intelligently…. I play chess a lot but am objectively terrible at it..)

The truth is I don’t know what to think anymore. On the one hand there is zero objective evidence that Hans cheated in the Sinquefeld cup game against Magnus, and his accuracy in that game was nothing special.

On the other: chess.com is apparently sitting on information about Hans that it is gong to trot out at some point, likely further to Magnus’ accusation that Hans has “cheated more, and more recently” than he has admitted.

And then there is the fact that Hans’ past tournament games show a history of EXTREMELY, I’ll say suspiciously, accurate play. Magnus might have a 100% acccuracy game in his career—so did Capablanca. But based on the chessbase measure Magnus’ average accuracy is more like 70%, and Garry Kasparov in his prime was 69%.

Hans Niemann, meanwhile, is a grand master but only recently someone that the world took notice of as a person who can win against “super GMs” like Carlsen, Nakamura, Eronian, etc. His FIDE rating has risen meteorically since the pandemic, in a way that is unusual at his age—not unheard of, but very unusual.

But… there is no evidence. And the vibrating anal beads theory strikes me as beyond far-fetched.

All of which is to say, I just don’t know, and don’t know how anyone could. Cheating is an existential threat to competitive chess right now though and I think it matters a lot for organizations like FIDE, chess.com, and other chess federations to get the response to this right.

Because here is the reality: I can believe that somehow Hans circumvented the controls and managed to communicate moves to himself with some kind of hidden device. What I kind of can’t believe is the proposition that ONLY HANS is doing or has done this. If he is doing it, I feel like it’s virtually certain others are doing it too.
I believe Hans has cheated more recently than declared. I’m not convinced that he cheated here in this match versus Carlson or did just get lucky having studied an opening that Carlson had used before. And then Carlson’s belief that he was making computer moves through him off much like Kasparov was thrown off by the “human” moves deep blue made.

I do think cheating is widespread in online chess, too easy to cheat. In face to face there is probably some electronic communication being used like card counting in black Jack did.

The one interesting point in Hans favour is the guy to essentially invented cheating detection in chess Ragan didn’t find anything suspicious in Hans last to years of play.

Last edited by GGG; 10-03-2022 at 06:00 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote