View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #22
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If it's a trip with the girl friend / wife westjetvactions is a good route for an air/hotel deal.

I go several times a year with friends and for work and here's my advice outside of that mentioned above:

Air:

I find booking two separate one way (direct) flights is the way to go. I usually go from a Tuesday to a Monday... and that seems to be the best price I can get.

My advice on air would be to make sure you have direct flights. I always cringe hearing people tell me they've booked a trip to Vegas with several connecting flights for more money than I pay to fly direct.

I used to get round trip direct flights for as low as $280 about 3 years ago but now it's closer to $400.

Hotel:

I use hotels.ca

The big schtick in Vegas is resort fees. Most hotels that appear cheap have a clause where when you show up (even if you've pre paid) they charge you between 6 - 20 a night extra for a "resort" fee. They say it's for the pool, gym etc... and it's not negotiable.

In addition, if you need internet access (I do for work) most hotels will soak you for an extra 10 - 15 per night for internet access.

So in some cases you think you're getting an awesome deal pre paying on a strip hotel only to find you you'll actually be paying close to double.

If you want a nice place if you're travelling with a female I'd just bite the bullet and get a highly rated hotel on the strip and just shell out the money.

If you're travelling solo or with the boys and need a hotel just to crash and don't care about the frills I recommend the Super 8 on Koval. It's right behind the Paris hotel and there's no resort fee and it has free internet. It's got a great BBQ restaurant and a Brewster's style Micro Brewery in house and beer is $1.50 a pint 24 hours a day. It's also stumbling distance from the strip. I usually stay here when I go down to party and it's $40 - $50 a night with no hidden costs.

Another option on the classier side is to check time-share sites to rent a condo for your stay. In some cases you can get a suite at the MGM Signature (or comparable) for a pretty good rate.

Car:

Unless you're going to be too drunk to drive the majority of your stay, I absolutely recommend getting a rental car.

You get off the plane and step right on to the Rental Car Shuttle at the airport and it takes you 5 mins away to pick up a car.

I use my Amex to decline all insurance scams and get something like a Charger or Crysler 300 for between $20 and $30 a day.

Cabs add up quick in Vegas and for shopping etc it's great to have a car as all hotels have free parking.

Hope this helps someone.
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain_Obvious For This Useful Post: