View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #2915
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think so. It's not just Neal but the effect he has on his linemates. McDavid turned a replacement level player in Chiasson into a 20+ goal forward so you replace Chaisson with a guy like Neal that has pedigree as a goal scorer then it makes life easier for McDavid, RNH, or Draisaitl. I personally don't believe the Flames sniff 100 points if they don't make the acquisition of Lindholm last season as he played a key role in the career seasons of Monahan and Gaudreau.
Johnny increased his scoring by 15 points, or 17%.

Johnny increased his ice time by 3%, league ES scoring increased by 2%.

In isolation, Lindholm in that situation maybe had an effect on Johnny by about 10 points.

10-15 extra on ice goals is certainly worth some wins, but hard pressed to suggest 15 standings points. Flames increased depth up and down the lineup last season, change of coach and systems, were far larger drivers of the success.

FWIW, the Oilers had the 9th ranked PP last year at 21%. So there is only so much Neal is marginally improving that. McDavid and Draisal find other dudes to tap in PP pucks. Maybe Neal moves the needle. So far so good, but we arent reinventing the wheel here.

He has two even strength goals so far, they werent exactly skill goals. Lets see what happens as everyone sharpens up. I think Neal is going to struggle to generate much in those situations with his footspeed. Time will tell on that.

As far as standings points is concerned, the gap between the best and worst team last year was 64 points. To suggest James Neal could be worth a quarter of that difference by himself is kind of fascinating.

Roster fit does matter, however, in this particular case, I think you are overselling it.
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote