View Single Post
Old 07-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #2653
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I agree this is a deal that had to happen. Where I take umbrage is with your last statement. Lucic is barely an NHL player in very much the same way Neal is. That much will become apparent to some folks around here very soon. He is not “better suited to a bottom 6 role” because neither should be anywhere in your lineup, unless I missed the memo that it’s 2011 again and “bottom 6 ability” is measured in how many hits and fights you lay on similarly useless players.

Again, what I don’t like is: a) A conditional 3rd is nothing, in the event the conditions are met. The Oilers get a benefit far greater than the value of a 3rd if such a scenario plays out. And b) there was nothing included to make up for the very real problems Lucic’s contract structure carries with it. The owner being unwilling to eat a buyout and wanting to save money has tangibly affected the dimensions of a hockey trade. This is a problem.
The underlying numbers don't suggest that, but we will see.

I don't subscribe to the notion that the "eye test" is more accurate than numbers as they're pretty hard to fake or sway. But I'm sure all of us would agree it's different to watch a player play for team X than the Flames, your focus is different.

I'm prepared for a skill limited big guy that likes to play the body and can snap once and awhile. I feel pretty safe that those elements are still apparent. Does he repeat his underlying numbers in Calgary and play the role of a guy that can be in the bottom six and not hurt you? Hope so ... but we will see.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote