View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #488
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I hate the Sharks as much as anyone and still think they shouldn't even be in the 2nd round but that's offside. If the Flames were in the Sharks position I would be livid if that goal was allowed. Burke on 960 right now says it's not even controversial. Says it's the rule and you have to call it even if it's incidental.
The difficulty is that while Landeskog is clearly off side when the puck enters, if he touches the blue line, then he's deemed to have tagged up. So long as nobody else entered the zone before he did so (and it seems nobody had), the play should have been on side.

Now, one of the theories about the off-side rule is that it does say a player who intends to leave the ice rather than tag up is off side until he steps completely off the playing surface. There is, however, no indication that this caveat negates the usual requirement to tag up. If it does, then the call was correct. But we don't know, and that's not the explanation the league used. The explanation they gave was that Landeskog failed to tag-up, and there is no way on earth the video review could definitively make that claim.

I'm glad the Avs lost, but that was the wrong call.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote