View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 10:02 PM   #2488
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I finally got around to seeing Joker. Might as well have been called Joaquin Phoenix the acting performance because he carries a very thin story. It's almost like Todd Phillips was trying to troll the academy. This is a typical comic book origin story featuring a number of plot conveniences, coincidences, and having all the main characters somehow connected but because it has an amazing lead actor, indie style cinematography, touches on some dark themes, and there are a few silent "character building" scenes all of a sudden it's Oscar bait. Overall I was entertained though. The acting plus a few fun twists and turns was enough to create a solid Joker origin story. 8/10
I found the comic book setting allowed the viewer to suspend rational thought about the plot and the details. This let Phoenix explore the characters without having to worry about an overly sensical plot.

It's an interesting way of doing movies that is a lot more common in Asian cinema. You set the movie in a made up world, which allows far more contrived plot points. The focus then shifts entirely to human interaction.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: