View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 02:32 PM   #8325
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
If Biggio is healthy and can produce like the 800 OPS bat he had been prior to this year than you have a guy who is well above average that you can play at 2nd or 3rd, plus the versatility to use elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see how many teams try and find a Ray or Gausman who has 2 plus pitches, and get those guys to just throw those 95% of the time and try and get 150 innings and maybe more if things work out. So will teams be willing to give money and term to guys who succeeded at it this year, or will they look for darts to throw at the board that cost less and hope something sticks?
I’ve personally theorized on here as of late that the Jays will be forced to go for veteran arms next. Simply put, they can’t do long term deals with free agent pitchers with the next generation about to get paid large. So you go for vets who have been proven, but the costs are up front as they’re not realistically looking for 5 year deals. Then you fill in with a couple guys looking for short rebounds like Ray did. I think the roster will look older by virtue of these three or so signings. With the amount of games lost because of the bullpen, that’s my first concern. But if you can get another #2 who can go long, like Scherzer, then my bullpen concern becomes less with a couple proven guys back there.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote