View Single Post
Old 07-14-2021, 08:11 AM   #6164
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Lubicon hit the nail on the head. I'm a pipefitter by trade and the wage now is the same that it was when I first got my ticket in 2011. Only now most employers are only offering 10 hour days, no travel and the increasingly hostile environment Lubicon alluded to.

I was recently working on a bunch of small outages where I had a crew of 12 guys. The client had 11 people watching us the entire time. It was absolutely insane the waste of money and the distrust of the contractor. Every year I seem to be more surprised by the lack of knowledge and experience in top positions and the "step over a loonie to pick up a dime" mentality.
11 to watch 12 definitely is a huge WTF issue. I've worked for end users where their QA/QC programs have been getting out of control - seems like inspectors for just about everything resulting in massive budget bloat. Also too many decision makers and leaders in the Calgary offices that have never worked outside of their offices - only field experience has been a few chaperoned tours. Very rare to find someone in the big offices with fabrication/assembly shop experience, let alone EPCM as well.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote